Monday, April 14, 2008

Human Powered Day

Last night Sacha and I realized we had 1 car at my Dad's place - which doesn't work too well when I need to go to swimming at 6am and to work from there, and she needs to get the kids to school for 9...


We hummed and hawed (spelling of 'hawed' anyone?) and eventually I came upon the idea to run to swimming.  I woke early - 4:45am.  My plan was to go slowly, so I gave myself a full hour to run the 10km (planning on it taking 48-50 mins and having the other 10 minutes to change into my swim gear and take down a gel).

5 am is a GREAT time to run.  The world is pretty much dead...  you can cross streets anywhere (using appropriate caution) - for instance I ran right across the lanes from the east to the west side of the Lion's Gate Bridge at the West Van end - something that would normally result in death...

Apart from the grind up the Stanley Park Causeway (which is an almost imperceptible grade to the eye - but definitely perceptible to a runner) the run was really enjoyable.  The swim was challenging after 10k's, but once I lolly-gagged through the first couple 100 metres I felt pretty good.  Also, the swim was a great recovery for me - legs didn't even feel tired after... nice.


Check out the cool picture I found of my run - I went from just left of BC Place (the white dome) - to the last cluster of buildings on the far shore.... looks farther than 10km...


It got me thinking about another HUMAN POWERED DAY.  I had one last year (because my van was in the shop) - I ran from West Van to have breakfast with my Dad downtown, then to my dentist in Kits, and back to West Van later in the day.  I think I went 24 hours without burning any fossil fuel - just my pack on my back - running.

Look for me to throw down an HPD just for fun some time soon....  maybe I'll start an HPD Challenge... and see if I can get more people on board.  It feels pretty cool to get around the city this way.

Enough blogging - I have a presentation at GF Strong Rehab Centre tomorrow night... better get a little prep in...

P.S.  The Chinese wedding was awesome - 300 people, weird food (Shark Fin soup, chicken feet, strange balls floating in milky liquid....).  Congrats and thanks Tony and Alex - we had a great time and wish you guys the best.

Tweet this!

No comments: