Sunday, November 16, 2008

Trip Highlights

Apart from being re-elected to the board there weren't too many highlights from this trip.  It was mostly meetings.


This was the view from my hotel room:


And this is the CN Tower on a cold, wet night:


On Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting Simon Whitfield - Triathlon Canada had flown him out to give a presentation and slideshow to the board.  He is such an engaging guy - lots of great stories and lots of passion for the sport and for life.  

We chatted for a minute or two... I wasn't too proud to ask for a photo, "Sure!  Let me grab my medals..."  He reached into a little bag and out popped a pretty beaten up gold from Sydney and a significantly fresher silver from Beijing.  I looked at them for quite a while....  kind of speechless.  It's not that the medals themselves are that amazing - it's what they represent.  For me it's those moments in time that I, and millions of Canadians, remember: exactly where they were when Simon won gold, and when he won silver.  Jumping up and down, heart pounding,  then replaying it again and again for Mattias (and for myself.)

I didn't really know what to say so I probably said something like "Wow, cool!" or some other nerdy thing...  

Simon's the man in my books.

Tweet this!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's pretty amazing. Most people (including me) would have those medals in some bulletproof case with guards around it. He pulls it out of his bag and it's all beat up. Awesome!

James Greenwood said...

What a great honour - really awesome!

Who is hoodlum standing under the CN Tower - Oh - its you - sorry!