Thursday, March 19, 2009

Clermont, Florida - Cycling Camp

I almost forgot how to type it's been so long....  we had no internet until today....


Getting down to Clermont proved to be a little harder than we expected...  we started by missing our flight.  Air Canada couldn't check us in because of a computer problem, finally that got sorted and the line-up at security was HUGE.  Then I got searched TWICE.  We missed the plane by 5 minutes.

They got us on the next one to Seattle 4 hours later.  Fortunately the Seattle-Atlanta leg was delayed so we were able to catch it.  The Atlanta - Orlando portion of the odyssey was not delayed which meant we were stranded in Atlanta for the night.  

We flopped into a couple of super-cheap (smoking) rooms at the Best Western.  My room smelt like perfume used to disguise smoke...  So the hotel was neither "best" nor very "western" but I slept like a baby.

The Camp

We have been riding every day - between 50-90 km/day so far.  The first couple of days we took it pretty easy and on the third we went a bit harder for a bit near the end.  In the afternoons and evenings we have usually had some sort of secondary session - bike fitting, body measurements / analysis / stretching / nutrition etc. etc.

The good news is that I fit right in with the riders here - I am not the strongest or the weakest.  I didn't need to be quite as concerned as I was.  On a personal level, I am very pleased with my riding thus far - I felt adequately prepared for the camp.  Sean, Josip, Kevin - if you are reading - good job!  Mostly it is just feeling great to get a string of nice rides in great weather - I have never had this type of an opportunity at this stage of the season.

The one issue I have been having until about 5 minutes ago is that there is NO INTERNET.  That's a pretty challenging scenario for me.  I now realize how dependent I am on it.  5 days was about all I could take - I was ready to pedal off to the nearest town with an internet cafe...  then we found this little spot with WiFi.  It was a glorious moment I assure you.

We are staying at the Swiss Ski School (fortunately that's water skiing).  Here are some pics - this isn't the exact house we are in but essentially the same:

 




I will load up some ride pics and much more soon if the internet keeps working.

Cheers!

Tweet this!

8 comments:

Nikemom said...

Looks fabulous! And I'm jealous you are at a bike camp. You go! Post when you return with any "smokin" tips. :D

Unknown said...

Wow, those pictures are beautiful. I'm glad to hear you are fitting right in with the group.

Missy said...

That does NOT suck! Glad to hear it's going well. Ouch, a smoking room, been there, so gross but so totally good when you're cashed!

rUntoNamAste said...

Nice accommodations! Certainly beats the 'Best Western'. Enjoy camp :-)

RunningLaur said...

Looks like a wonderful place to spend some time. Good to hear that you're fitting in too, no more fears about being stuck at the back of the pack. Enjoy the rest of your time!

swimbikerunryan said...

Bring back the warm weather, it's the first day of spring, and doesn't feel like it:( Can't wait for the ride picks...:)

Gotta Run..... said...

Bike camp... how much better could it get.

Love the post on your familys 5k. Priceless times!!

Eileen Swanson said...

Looks awesome!! Cool pics too. Keep having lots of fun!